99,847 registered during the Vasaloppet Year 2018 – registration for Vasaloppet's Summer Week 2019 is now open
Vasaloppet's Winter Week 2018 and Vasaloppet's Summer Week 2018 attracted a total of 97,803 registered participants, of which 68 percent were men and 32 percent women. Adding the races for young children (Barnens Vasalopp skis, bike and running in both Sälen and Mora) the total number comes to 99,847. This sets a new record for the eleventh year in a row.
”We are already close to passing one of our milestone goals for the 100th anniversary in 2022. Near 100,000 is an amazing number of registrants and we are proud, and happy, to see so many participants continue to register for our races in both summer and winter,” says Vasaloppet’s CEO, Eva-Lena Frick.
The tenth Vasaloppet Summer Week was a huge success. As many as 33,147 participants registered for the Summer Week races and participant records were broken for both Ultravasan distances, 90 km and 45 km. Cykelvasan Öppet Spår, moved this year to a day of its own, Friday, saw an increase in registered participants by 34 percent.
Results from the participant survey completed after the Summer Week indicate that as many as nine out of ten participants describe it as likely or very likely that they will register again for next year’s Summer Week.
”Seeing so many people choose to run or bike in our Summer Week races is good proof that we, the Vasaloppet employees and functionaries, are doing a good job.”
At 09:00 September 16 registration opened for next year’s bike and running races in the Vasaloppet Arena.
”We welcome all new and returning participants to join us in 2019,” says Eva-Lena Frick.
Additional facts from this year:
– Tjejvasan celebrated 30 years!
– Ungdomsvasan on skis moved into the Vasaloppet Arena and split into two distances (9 and 18 km), starting in Eldris and Hökberg.
– Vasaloppet’s school challenge took place for the first time. One class from Växjö won free equipment, travel, accommodation in Mora and participation in Ungdomsvasan.
– During this Summer Week the finish line in Mora was crossed for the 1,500,000th time since 1922.
– New records for number of registrants were set in several races: Stafettvasan, Vasaloppet, Cykelvasan Öppet Spår and Ultravasan.
– Vasaloppstrippeln 90 and Vasaloppstrippeln 45 broke new records.
– Start places in the 95th Vasaloppet on March 3, 2019, were fully booked about one and a half hours after registration opened, two weeks after the last Vasaloppet race. So far 43,000 skiers are registered for Vasaloppet’s Winter Week 2019.
FACTS/ Number of registrants during the Vasaloppet Year 2018
|Öppet Spår Sunday||8439||7276||909||6367|
|Öppet Spår Monday||5429||4949||692||4257|
|Barnens Vasalopp skis||745||745||0||745|
|Cykelvasan Öppet Spår||6650||5850||134||5716|
|Barnens Vasalopp bike||981||981||0||981|
|Barnens Vasalopp running||318||318||0||318|
|Total for Vasaloppet’s Winter Week and Summer Week 2018||99847||86515||4374||82141|
Upcoming events in the Vasaloppet Arena
Vasaloppet Winter Week 2019
Fri 22 Feb: Kortvasan. 30 km. Start Oxberg.
Sat 23 Feb: Tjejvasan. 30 km. Start Oxberg.
Sun 24 Feb: Ungdomsvasan. 9/19 km Start Eldris/Hökberg.
Sun 24 Feb: Öppet Spår Sunday. 90 km. Start Sälen.
Mon 25 Feb: Öppet Spår Monday. 90 km. Start Sälen.
Tue 26 Feb: Halvvasan. 45 km. Start Oxberg.
Fri 1 Mar: Stafettvasan. 9–24 km. Five-person teams. Start Sälen.
Fri 1 Mar: Nattvasan. 90 km. Two-person teams. Start Sälen.
Sat 2 Mar: Blåbärsloppet. 9 km. Start Eldris.
Sun 3 Mar: Vasaloppet. 90 km. Start Sälen. (FULL 180318)
Vasaloppet’s Summer Week 2019
Fri 11 Aug: Cykelvasan Öppet Spår. 94 km. Start Sälen
Fri 11 Aug: Cykelvasasprinten. 1 km. Lindvallen, Sälen (Open qualifier on Thursday)
Sat 10 Aug: Cykelvasan 90. 94 km. Start Sälen
Sun 11 Aug: Cykelvasan 30. 32 km. Start Oxberg
Sun 11 Aug: Ungdomscykelvasan. 32 km. Start Oxberg
Sun 11 Aug: Cykelvasan 45. 45 km. Start Oxberg
Sat 17 Aug: Ultravasan 45. 45 km. Start Oxberg
Sat 17 Aug: Ultravasan 90. 90 km. Start Sälen
Sat 17 Aug: Vasastafetten. 4,5–15 km. Running relay for ten-person teams. Start Sälen
Sat 17 Aug: Vasakvartetten. 19,1–24,2 km. Running relay for four-person teams. Start Sälen